[Foundation-l] Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the Strategy Project Facilitator

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 15 00:37:20 UTC 2009

Hi Yaroslav,

Yes, it's a good question; Philippe and I have talked about it.

In this instance I think it's okay for Philippe to remain on the
committee, for a couple of reasons. 1) As you say, the election is
four weeks away: practically speaking, it would be tough to find a
replacement for Philippe in that time-frame.  And 2) There are lots of
safeguards in place to ensure fairness in the election outcome -- for
example, the committee doesn't actually administer the vote: that is
handled by an independent third party, Software in the Public
Interest.

Philippe offered to me to resign from the election committee if I or
the Board thought it was best.  I personally think the benefit of him
fulfilling the commitment outweighs the downside.  But I know
Philippe's sensitive to the issue: if people want to talk about ways
to mitigate or eliminate the conflict, I'm sure he'd be happy to have
that conversation :-)

Thanks,
Sue