[Foundation-l] mo.wikipedia is not yet renamed to mo-cyrill as it was promised !!

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 9 00:03:38 UTC 2009

Hi Cetateanu --

As replied previously, we don't yet have infrastructure for conveniently
renaming sites. Given that the site has been locked for years and
there's nothing to replace it with at mo.wikipedia.org, it's no higher
on our priority list than the other sites that have language code
renames pending.

Since we've been in the midst of a slow migration of external text
storage as well, it's slid farther back on the burner than planned. I'll
see if we can make sure it's on the radar at least...

The problem isn't intractable, but merely inconvenient, and due to the
number of sites & databases needing renaming it needs to be scripted and
tested for safety first:

* Ensure language/localization files have been updated for new language code

* Lock site

* Rename public file storage subdirectories

* Rename private file storage subdirectories

* Ensure all site config entries have been updated for new language code

* Rename core database on primary database cluster (create new database,
rename all tables, drop old empty database)

* Ensure that all slave databases were properly updated

* Rename blob databases on all external storage clusters (for each of 22
clusters, create new database, rename all tables, drop old empty databases)

* Ensure that all slave databases were properly updated

* Make sure it didn't break anything _else_...

* Unlock site

* Rename or move data dump archives

* Check if anything else needs cleaning up in recent changes channels,
interwiki links, or other output.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)