[Foundation-l] Wikia leasing office space to WMF

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 23:16:45 UTC 2009

2009/1/23 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> 2009/1/23 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>> Sounds good. Could you calmly and sensibly explain it to me, then? How
>> did you come to decide that the addition benefits of working in
>> Wikia's offices were worth the extra money? (I'm willing to accept
>> that there could be a good explanation, I'd just like to see it.)
>
> I already named some of them - greater proximity, shared kitchen use,
> shared speakerphone use, established Internet connectivity. The other
> space we were looking at also had noise issues: open concept with two
> other tenants, and some noise every day at 6PM due to music lessons in
> the same building.

I was looking for something a little more quantitative. I know it is
difficult to quantify these things, which is why, in my experience,
charities usually err on the side of caution. In fact, the model
governing documents for the UK Charities Commission explicitly forbids
any such dealings with companies that share directors with the charity
(I'm not sure the law requires such strict rules, but they are
certainly recommended).