[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] vro

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:37:02 UTC 2009

Hoi,
This change for Estonian is not special. It has happened before where other
codes changed their meaning and became a "macro language". German (de) is a
completely different type of language, in several ways it is more like
Italian. I do not understand where you got this "standard Estonian" from, it
has always been "Estonian" and did not have any qualifiers. nl is Dutch not
standard Dutch and en is English not standard English. I also fail to
understand why ISO-639-1 had only "standard" languages.. what do you mean by
a standard language?

It is nice that you oppose, there are reasons why it might be a bad idea,
but the ones that I know are not the ones you put forward. A reason why a
change would be good is that it will prevent confusion. Hierarchically ekk
and vro are on the same level and et is on a higher level.
Thanks,
     GerardM