[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] vro

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Wed Jan 21 18:53:46 UTC 2009

I am happy, that Voro got its own code and I fully support to move
'fiu-vro' to 'vro'. But I think this also demonstrates, that ISO is to
some degree out of touch with reality or at least quite inconsistent
with its codes.
Why did they declare 'et' to be synonymous to the macrolanguage? 'et'
was always intended to mean 'Standard Estonian' in earlier revisions of
ISO 639 (cause ISO 639 was created in a time when non-standard languages
and minorities did not or were not supposed to produce books [and the
internet wasn't invented]. There was no need for codes other than
standard languages). 'de' for example is synonymous to 'deu' (Standard
German), although there are several codes like 'bar', 'gsw' or 'ksh'
that would fit under the roof of a 'de' macrolanguage just in the same
way as 'vro' fits under the roof of an 'et' macrolanguage. But they are
handled differently nonetheless.
I oppose to move et.wikipedia to ekk.wikipedia and I think this would be
a really bad service to the et.wikipedia community.

Marcus Buck

Gerard Meijssen hett schreven: