[Foundation-l] Board resolutions (chapters)

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 09:18:44 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen schrieb:
> Hoi,
> When the New York people get their chapter, they are part of the USA legal
> system. It makes sense imho opinion to have a NY chapter if this is
> necessary to organise things that require a legal setting. Things like
> charitable donations. If these aspects are not relevant, there is no real
> need to have a chapter. It is then more of a society.
>
> When a "chapter" like New York is allowed then there is in essence nothing
> to have another "sub chapter "in another country.. In the end when it is all
> about community and community activity, an Amsterdam chapter is as valid as
> a Dutch chapter right ?
> Thanks,
>        GerardM

Not quite. One criteria is that the chapters should have well defined
geographical areas and they should not overlap. So an Amsterdam chapter
beside a Dutch chapter is not possible. On the other hand. A volunteers
organization must not be a WMF recognized chapter. The WMF is appreciate
of every voluntiers initiative and would like to help if we can and if
it is meaningful.

Ting