[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 55, Issue 3

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 02:34:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Roberto Corda <roberto.ilcorda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mhhh... sorry I'm using a language that I don't really know  (you
> know), I'll try to be clearer.

This is better, you started to discuss ;) Bad English is not a problem
while it is understandable and I didn't see a problem in understanding
meaning of your words.

> CPOV is a something that is never been official policy of WMF project
> (yes I know that  WMF has a POV, every one in the world as one: is a
> trivial sentence). I know that local community could have a local POV
> but I also know that we (as wikipedians I mean) have to build an
> enciclopedia not care about things different from this.

Of course that we should build one project in different languages.
However, go to en.wp, read essays [1] there and you will see a lot of
very POV articles. And while those articles are inside of Wikipedia:
name space and reasonably worded they are not a problem.

> They, pms people, say that local language are better than other
> language and English is evil. I just **asked** if this is coherent
> with our purpose. Then they (serious guy and friends) start talking
> nonsense about not existent policy and call me nationalist troll. I
> wonder who is making noise here.

The sense of the introduction [2] in the document is a romantic in
favor of promoting local languages against cultural imperialism.

Anglo-Saxon cultural imperialism is bad, as any cultural imperialism
is (Russian, French, Chinese, Spanish; even similar behavior at much
smaller scale -- and thus not imperialisms, but cultural expansionisms
or so, like Serbian or Italian are -- is bad). I don't see anything
wrong with such statement inside of one essay. Actually, English
Wikipedia has stronger statements about freedom of knowledge than pms
has about local languages.

> <references about the serious guy>
>> a) However, I see that this thread is started by a nationalist troll.
>> b) You said that you will not write here anymore. Please, keep the promise.
>> c) Put this one under moderation
> </references about the serious guy>

a) Up to this email you behaved like a troll. Nationalist reasons
behind your first email are very obvious.
b) You really said that you don't want to write here anymore. As you
didn't try to discuss once more, but continued to troll the list, I
asked you to keep your promise.
c) Trolling is not acceptable; such persons should be moderated.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_essays
[2] - {{quote|Una de las principales finalidades de esta obra es de difundir
la capacidad de leer y escribir, y de acostumbrar la población
piamontesa al multilinguismo, al vislumbrarse la próxima revolución
lingüística, que ya esta imponiendo el ingles como idioma técnico y
fundamental califica de trabajo.}}