[Foundation-l] GFDL 1.3 Release

John at Darkstar vacuum at jeb.no
Tue Nov 4 00:48:05 UTC 2008

> This will not affect
> Wikimedia-internal copying transactions, as either all or no
> GFDL-licensed Wikimedia wikis will be switched to CC-BY-SA.

Note is it common in Norway, from previous cases, to be able to opt out
of major single sided changes in such arrangements. Last time this was
discussed in length in media it was about a contract for a satelite TV
company, and it was said very clear that each and every customer had an
right to opt out. Has this been given due considerations, and is there
any other countries where there are any known court cases with such
major license changes? And yes, I do know that some people think that a
licence isn't a contract.

An opt out might be to choose a completly different license or refuse to
give it any license at all, effectivly using Norwegian copyright law and
then creating havoc.

> This re-licensing proposal will include a simplified dual-licensing
> proposition, under which content will continue to be indefinitely
> available under GFDL, except for articles which include CC-BY-SA-only
> additions from external sources.

If I understand you correctly; no matter what later Creative Commons
license is choosen, the GFDL in some version will be keept?

> Relicensing can only be done by the operator of such a website, not by
> any other party. So the Wikimedia Foundation can choose to re-license
> Wikipedia, Wikibooks, etc., but no other party can. We will be able to
> do so because most GFDL-licensed content implicitly or explicitly
> permits re-use under "any later version" of the GFDL.

Will Wikimedia Foundation take the role of a publisher when relicensing
content? And how does that affect the editors as those are the owners of
the work. I try to interprete this in the context of Norwegian copyright
law, and I'm not sure if this can be done. I know that some of the
people involved in Creative Commons claims this to be legal.

> If some GFDL 1.2 content that cannot be migrated later is imported
> by accident, that should not present any great difficulty -- we will
> simply remove it as we would remove any other problematic
> copyrighted content.

When you say "we", does you not say that you take on an editorial role?
Can you do that as an ISP?