[Foundation-l] identity disclosure and access to OTRS/Checkuser

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 30 16:32:01 UTC 2008

Jon wrote:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>
>>> Oh my.  Serious legal consequences for forging such a thing.  I'm sure
>>> the foundation has a method to vet these things.
>>>
>> How could they do that? They might be able to tell if the passport is
>> real or not, but there's no way they can tell whether or not it's
>> actually yours.
>>
> Really, there is no way?  So if I take a photo of myself, and my
> passport, with the weather channel (with current date and time) behind
> us, there is no way?  There are plenty of methods.

There is a matter of the size ratio between your face and your passport
picture; that would require a high resolution photo to get the two
together.  There are characteristics of a valid passport that only show
up under UV light so you might want to do a UV scan ... if you know how
to find a UV scanner.

This thread looks so much like a series of solutions in search of a
problem.  It all presumes that someone will think of these schemes
before submitting anything deceptive.  One can never find an absolutely
safe and secure way of doing these things, only increasingly expensive,
complex and intrusive countermeasures for events of diminishing likelihood.

Ec