[Foundation-l] Please REJECT the latin wikinews project. inmediatly

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 24 22:38:03 UTC 2008

Al Tally wrote:
> 2008/6/23 Ray Saintonge
>> Al Tally wrote:
>>
>>> 2008/6/20 Thomas Dalton
>>> See
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikinews_Simple_English
>>
>>> It cannot be created.
>> That's a rather categorical POV push on your part.
>>
> No not on my part. I simply am stating what was written on the page by
> Pathoschild.

OK, I'll take that at face value.  In closing the discussion,
Pathoschild is presumably expressing the collective view of the
committee.  If your categorical sounding comment was intended to be
ironic a smiley would have helped.  Without it, it at least sounds
defeatist.
>> Your lack of
>> imagination should not be treated as a condition equivalent to everyone
>> else's disability.
>>
> Sigh. I'm an admin on Simple English Wikipedia. I would love a Simple
> English Wikinews. In fact I even offered to help on the original proposal. I
> don't suppose you noticed any of that.

I didn't, and I just checked the history of the discussion, and found
nothing by you in there.  Some of us only hear about these discussions
after the fact, and can't be expected to know where other discussions on
the subject have taken place.
>> While it is true that simple languages do not have separate ISO codes
>> from their complete counterparts, reference to that seems more like an
>> excuse than a reason.
>>
> See above. I am *for* the idea, not against.

I accept that now that I know that to be the case.  In this and my
following comment I was addressing the specific comments in the closing
statement for the request.
>> The closing statement on the cited page also states:
>>    1. No standard orthography,
>>    2. No literature.
>> These are both utterly false.
> Perhaps they are false; however your massive assumption of bad faith here
> makes me ask "Was I right to vote for you in the board election?" I'm not so
> sure. Please don't take my comments in the wrong way again. I said "It
> cannot be created" not "I don't want it". Thank you.

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your comment.

Ec