[Foundation-l] Global sysop proposals

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 00:45:36 UTC 2008

It doesn't look like Milos' view will hold on this particular issue, but its
mostly being argued by folks from en.wp at the moment so its hard to tell
how many other non en.wp people would disagree with his position.

I think it points up a problem with his global sysop proposal and your
global view deleted images proposal for commons admins - that being the
seeming belief that meta proposals ought to act as a means for overriding
policies on local projects, as though meta were a central governing
community. Could be just my inexperience with meta and its relationship with
content projects, but it seems like something of a departure to insist that
short discussions and votes on meta ought to be enough to allow people to
take actions on other projects without any notion of or regard to local
policies and customs.

Maybe what meta really needs is an umbrella global rights policy that makes
it clear, without limitation to specific rights, that all global user rights
are subordinate to local rights and subject to local policies in their use
(excepting those governed by Foundation policies, such as steward). By that
I don't mean that global admins should be subject to policies for local
admins, but that each project should be able to limit or forbid the use of
global rights specifically and have it stick.

Nathan