[Foundation-l] en.WP dysfunction (was: A letter to Wikipedia collides with the non-free content policies)

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 00:07:15 UTC 2008

--- Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2008 10:47 PM, Thomas Dalton
> <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not really. While non-English posts are welcome,
> they are
> > understandably rare and responses to them even
> rarer.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > The large non-English projects are large enough to
> get by on their own, and it's
> > easier to do so than to discuss the matters here
> in English.
>
> Oh wait. As an English Wikiquote admin, I tend to
> disagree.
> Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikinews, Wikisource ...
> while we may argue if
> they are "large", but at least three of them are
> ranked within 5,000
> in Alexa. But I can hardly recall an issue, which is
> related to one of
> those particularly, was discussed here. Wiktionary
> logo issue may be
> mentioned, but it is no English Wiktionary local
> issue, rather
> Wiktionary as a whole.
>
> So it is not only a language issue: I admit (lack
> of) language barrier
> may be a factor but it doesn't explain why other
> English project
> issues are rarely raised here. Are they still small
> and sort of
> Arcadia? Hmmm hope so but sadly I say no. It is
> still small and cozy
> but not far from any painful disputes. And some
> would be legal issues.

I can say en.WS definitely has had it's share of
painful copyright disputes.  We have several items
going through undeletion right now because of a
disputed legal interpretation that was recently
clarified by Mike Godwin.  The deletion of those items
definitely had one side crying foul and still is
surrounded by bitter feelings.  Unfortunately, en.WS
does not lack divisive disputes.  I can't imagine the
divisions over fair use at en.WP can be stronger the
the divisions at en.WS over the grey area of Public
Domain.

Birgitte SB