[Foundation-l] WMF Development and Memes - Foundation transparency

luke brandt shojokid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:06:15 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Still, I think it would be productive to look at the various
> techniques for government transparency and look for things which could
> be productively applied here.
>
> I've long found it amusing that agents speaking for Wiki[pm]edia have
> claimed a revolutionary level of transparency while in many areas the
> level of transparency is below the level required by some governments
> of themselves by law.  Certantly some aspects of the project are very
> open but a revolutionarily open document management system should not
> be confused for transparency in governance.

Thanks for your reply, Gregory. I take your points, e.g. that probably
only a few in the Foundation knew about the 'secret' mailing list, and
it's difficult to make rules to cover all possibilities on lists. But I
think you are right, in that it's still worth trying to achieve a
greater level of transparency in governance for the reasons you gave.