[Foundation-l] Community representation

James Forrester jdforrester at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:01:11 UTC 2008

On 10/01/2008, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been thinking about the wikicouncil stuff lately and it seems
> to me there is room for another form of community representation,
> something like a union of editors.
>
> WMF<->Project communication is necessary and I think it would be
> suited to a wikicouncil. But then there is the more general
> WMF<->community representation, where "community" is the self-elected
> group of people who are interested in "meta issues"... ie foundation-l
> posters at the moment.
>
> I know the Foundation gave up formal membership however-long-ago but I
> don't think that would preclude them from organising, or perhaps more
> accurately recognising, a membership group that was legally powerless.
> (We don't need to be legally powerful to have power: the most powerful
> thing we have is the right to fork.)

Maybe I'm a complete fool, but isn't that the point of Chapters? I
understood the concept of Wikicouncil to be a combination of
project-specific and geographical representatives. Already people
would have two (or more!) forms of input in to the Council - would it
be necessary to have even more, especially as most people interested
in the Wikicouncil would be interested in the Foundation anyway?

In case I make myself look (even more) like a fool, I should explain
that my ideas on Wikicouncil were formed back in '03/'04 ish. and so I
may be very out of date. I sadly don't have time to read every post
even to this list. :-(

Yrs,
--
James D. Forrester