[Foundation-l] Meta-arbcom

FloNight sydney.poore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 14:30:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 7:06 AM, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/6, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:
> > Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

> > > Yet another reason why having a meta arbcom that only operates in
> > > English, would be a tragic mistake.
> > There are certainly several major concerns about starting up the
> > metarbcom, not the least of which defining itself.  Perhaps the
> > Wikicouncil should be established first, granted its authority in a slow
> > and safe manner.  Somewhere along the way it could be given the task of
> > developping the metarbcom.
> >
> > Ec
> >
> I think that the community as a whole should discuss this issue, and
> should come up with a proposal. Of course, if the community does not
> come to a conclusion, and is not able to come to such a proposal, it
> could ask a group of people to write one. However, I am not sure if
> I'd prefer to have writing these policies within the scope of the
> Volunteer Council/Wikicouncil. But that is a whole other discussion,
> in another thread on this list :)
>
> However, you could also take any subgroup to write such a proposal.
>
> BR, Lodewijk

I think having the discussion with the Community is what we are
starting to do now.

Many people see the value of having a Wikicouncil/Voulunteer Council
and also an independent body functioning as a meta-arbcom. There seems
to be some users with concerns about the way these groups will be
designed. I think the best way to answer these concerns is through
thoughtful discussions with the community through each step in the
process of starting these bodies. I'm pretty sure that it is possible
to formulate a design that answers the concerns once they are brought
to light.

Sydney