[Foundation-l] Meta-arbcom

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 12:06:41 UTC 2008

2008/1/6, Ray Saintonge <saintonge op telus.net>:
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> > On 1/5/08, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher op gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Before any meta arbcom could be formed it would definitely need a
> >> strong definition of its jurisdiction.
> >>
> >> I just wanted to make a comment for consideration about electing
> >> people to it. I may not be the only person concerned that it would be
> >> a strong concentration of power, and therefore a magnet to those who
> >> seek power, and that the people who most should be on it may be
> >> discouraged from actually participating due to the politics it will
> >> attract.
> >>
> > Yet another reason why having a meta arbcom that only operates in
> > English, would be a tragic mistake.
> There are certainly several major concerns about starting up the
> metarbcom, not the least of which defining itself.  Perhaps the
> Wikicouncil should be established first, granted its authority in a slow
> and safe manner.  Somewhere along the way it could be given the task of
> developping the metarbcom.
>
> Ec

I think that the community as a whole should discuss this issue, and
should come up with a proposal. Of course, if the community does not
come to a conclusion, and is not able to come to such a proposal, it
could ask a group of people to write one. However, I am not sure if
I'd prefer to have writing these policies within the scope of the
Volunteer Council/Wikicouncil. But that is a whole other discussion,
in another thread on this list :)

However, you could also take any subgroup to write such a proposal.

BR, Lodewijk