[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report Wikipedia editor under UCMJ (Mike G weigh in?)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 20:27:32 UTC 2008

On 02/01/2008, Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that we shouldn't. Nor should we ban .mil addresses either.
> However, actively encouraging editors to break the law in their area
> isn't the best way to go about it. I think those that edit Wikipedia
> when they shouldn't (be it government censorship, job contract,
> military law) are taking an active risk on their /own/ part (and most
> of the time, they're probably aware that they're doing something they
> legally shouldn't). If someone wants to report someone for breaking
> the law, that's their right, and Wikipedia has no role to play in it.

Is anyone actively encouraging breaking the law? If so, that could
well be illegal in itself (inciting criminal activity, or something -
the terminology probably depends on the details of the offence). I
don't know if non-military people can be found guilty of inciting
military people to break military law, but it wouldn't surprise me.