[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Sep 15 00:17:26 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Brownout <brovvnout at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have strict rules about how CUs have to handle private data of
> _editors_ and then we would allow three universities to access data of
> _any_user_ that access WMF sites?
> I consider myself mildly paranoid, so this is undoubtedly POV, but I
> think this idea is crazy.
>
> Some people use static IP addresses, even with personal information
> attached to whois records, did you ever considered it?

It's a tremendous bit of information.  For those people whose
identities are in their WP profile, you'd be giving access to
everything they ever read.  For those people whose identities aren't
in their WP profile, you'd be giving location information which might
very well be enough to identify them.

What I still don't understand is what period this information would be
from.  Would it only be a UDP stream of new requests, or would it
include old log data?  At least if it's only new requests those of us
who are "mildly paranoid" can make sure we always access WP through
tor.