[Foundation-l] Bot policy on bots operating interwiki

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sat Sep 8 15:46:26 UTC 2007

>> I think SUL is a distant dream at this point.

>Really? From what I've heard, the devs are making pretty good progress
>towards it.

I've seen a demo somewhere that finds all user accounts that match up. SUL
is no easy task, but it is achievable.

Anyway, on the topic of interwiki bots, as an admin on en.wikinews I would
prefer to be asked. We protect everything when it is about a week old, so
bots that go into the archives won't work. I also have concerns that
replacing fair use images with free ones on old articles could distort
Wikinews' historical record. For example, using a picture taken years after
an event that is free instead of one available at the time and more
representative.

Brian.