[Foundation-l] Putting the Foundation back in WMF

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Nov 18 17:02:23 UTC 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 11:37 AM, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> We can even sell our servers to the leasing company and get all this money
> and realise our budget. Because it will be obvious that we can do the same
> trick again next year, right ?

Selling the servers can't be done every year, but I'm not the one who
suggested that, you are.

> Actually consider the original proposal for setting aside money for leaner
> times.

I did, and pointed out a couple reasons that I think it's a terrible proposal.

> With the systems that we have we can maintain our current
> requirements and "only" have to pay for bandwidth and hosting. I think our
> current system of buying our servers, and not pay the leasing company
> overhead, is right in the middle between these two extremes.

As long as you keep raising donations in excess of your need, maybe.
The question I was responding to was what if you only have $1.5
million for the year.