[Foundation-l] Putting the Foundation back in WMF

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:45:51 UTC 2007

On 18/11/2007, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2007 9:28 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Capital expenditures are always optional
> >
> > If we want to sustain current growth (or anything close to it),
> > capital expenditure is *not* optional.
> >
> No, it isn't.  Servers can be leased.

Unless you're expecting usage to start decreasing in the future,
leasing would be *far* more expensive than buying. Yes, the cost is
spread out more, so if we *really* can't afford to, then it is an
option that might have to be considered, but it really should be a
last resort. Bandwidth and servers need to be our first priorities,
without them, there is no point having anything else. I'd say we
should start laying off staff before we stop buying new servers.