[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Job: Volunteer Coordinator

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 23:20:24 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> On 3/1/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/1/07, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > However,
> > > certainly a lot of good talent, from programmers to publishers to
> venture
> > > capitalists, gets attracted to San Francisco and similar areas, which
> is one
> > > possible reason to move -- an in-person volunteer community could be
> built
> > > around the office as well as an online one.
> > >
> > > -- phoebe
> >
> > I think that is better handled by regional chapters.
> >
> That's a good point.  If you think about it, there's no reason that an
> in-person volunteer community can't exist in San Francisco anyway.
>
> Whether or not the WMF moves its headquarters to San Francisco, it
> sounds like an excellent place to start up a local users group (or
> whatever the wiki-centric term for that would be).
>
> Anthony

That's certainly true -- the office definitely isn't a requirement for such
a local group, it's just one of the possible things that could happen with a
move. And as I said, I'm not that familiar with St. Pete -- it sounds from
Danny's message like there's a nice community there as well.

Anyway, organizing a greater-SF Bay meetup has been on my to-do list for
months now :) If anyone is interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/San_Francisco_2

-- phoebe