[Foundation-l] #wikipedia IRC channel guidelines review

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 05:55:42 UTC 2007

> Why do you think they fail to see #wikipedia as a central place? Is it
> too English Wikipedia-focused? Not welcoming enough to speakers of
> languages other than English? Too off-topic or lewd?
>
> ~Mark Ryan

The way I see it, and I suspect most others do, there simply is no need
*for* a central place. Pure irrelevance IOW. The great strength of wiki
has always been the fact that not everyone has to be involved with
everything. Though there is great interleaving, and connection all
around, with nexus after nexus, no nexus has ever been priviledged.

Even when the Village Pump was still not a firehose, nor split into
topical sections, tehre were other places like the mailing list and
VFD, which, while central to their own ambit, needed no "ring to
bind them all".