[Foundation-l] #wikipedia IRC channel guidelines review

Mark Ryan ultrablue at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 05:38:02 UTC 2007

On 31/07/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> As to the politics of all this, you gave the impression that you have
> jurisdiction on the #wikipedia-*** channels. What I now think you are saying
> is that as the #wikipedia is the "mother of all" wikipedia channels there is
> a need for some coordination. It has been sufficiently argued that this was
> a shambles and you going on a holiday at the moment when this happened made
> it seem to be only more arbitrary. Then yes, I know how these things go...
> things creep up on you.
>
> TThanks,
>     GerardM

People keep talking about this "jurisdiction" thing. As I hope I've
made clear, I certainly don't subscribe to any such concept in
relation to #wikipedia, let alone other IRC channels. I was simply
hoping to get the users of #wikipedia talking about this, because the
introduction of the guidelines etc. was too unilateral from the start,
which doesn't wash well in a situation where no one really has much
authority to begin with.

On 31/07/07, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> I genuinely do not wish to be rude, but frankly, you are delusional if
> you think *any* of the #wikipedia-* channel regulars considers
> #wikipedia their central channel.
>
> --
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

Why do you think they fail to see #wikipedia as a central place? Is it
too English Wikipedia-focused? Not welcoming enough to speakers of
languages other than English? Too off-topic or lewd?

~Mark Ryan