[Foundation-l] Special License

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 22:24:57 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Yoni Weiden <yonidebest at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even though usage must be given for free? i.e the pictures cannot be sold
> commercially? Does this mean cc-by-sa doesn't allow to sell the images as
> well?

Yes, and no.

As I understand it, CC-BY-SA allows you to use the images to make a
product (book, CD, DVD whatever) that you can sell. => Commercial use.

However, the image must be "shared alike", ie. released under the same
license. Which means that if I make a book with your image, I must be
able to provide the source free of charge if you ask for it.

So the real question about your phraseology is, what do you "really"
mean with "allow commercial usage"?

As *I* understand it, to allow commercial usage means that I can take
your image and use it in a book and make money with it (with the book,
not the image - really, what's the point of selling an image as stand
alone if it's free elsewhere?)

My take is that this license is indeed very close to CC-BY-SA. Anyone
can use it on their commercial website, on their commercial brochure
etc.

The trick is if someone takes all those images and makes them into a
CD and sells the CD. However, you could argue that you're making the
people pay for the CD itself and the work that was put into gathering
the images, not for the images themselves.

Delphine

--
~notafish