[Foundation-l] Special License

A. Özgür Erdemli dbl2010 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 17:28:20 UTC 2007

cc-by-sa only says give credit to owner (by) and keep the license same (sa
or share alike). It does not limit the type of usage. But in this case there
are some limitations.

You cannot limit type of usage. i.e. you cannot say non-comercial or
comercial but free of charge, or educational only etc. You just shouldt care
where it will be used and how it will be used. Only things you can request
is attribution and keeping the license same, which means keep the image
free.

Non-commercial use does not only mean selling the picture but also using the
picture in a commercial material.

To understand it I can give an example. Lets say I write a book and use an
image from wikipedia which has one of the proper free licenses. I can sell
this book and make money. This is allowed. But I must say in my book that
this picture has this free license. So anyone can use that image from my
book, anywhere, without asking me or paying money to me. And it will be all
legal. So that image will have still that freedom to be used freely. Person
A will copy from Person B. C will copy from B. D from C. That image will
serve to people as long as it exists.

So idea is, you let the picture coppied as much as it needed and keep it
stii be coppied to forever.

So your license is like cc-by-sa with some more limitations. You should
eliminate those additional limitations.

Dbl2010