[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 21:13:19 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 12:32 PM, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think that implies that at all.
>
> 1. Another project can always locally host an image, if Commons won't have
> it.
> 2. An image on Commons *not* used on any project is... wrong.  Regardless
> of
> whether it's controversial or not.
>
> I don't mind there being free image repositories.  It would not be a bad
> thing if the WMF formed one as a new project.  Commons, as it stands now,
> is
> specifically more focused on supporting the other projects.
>
> <snip>

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why isn't Commons simply trying to be a
generic free image repository?  Simply organizing and validating free
content is a valuable service to the larger world community regardless of
whether images are of interest to Wikimedia projects.  I can't imagine the
point of forming a new free image project, when we already have Commons.  As
it is, we often promote Commons as if it were a generic free image
repository anyway.

-Robert Rohde