[Foundation-l] World Wikipedia project?

Sebastian Moleski sebmol at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 08:13:43 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06, luke brandt <shojokid at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems
> interested.
> The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as
> much
> as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all,
> with
> just translation needed. Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy
> etc
> etc should already have been sorted. Comments?

I have thought this before and realized that the benefits such would bring
nowhere near outweigh the cost in terms of length of discussion, time spent,
people dishearted, misunderstandings created, and just pure effort wasted.
Languages aren't interchangeable, they're are attached to cultures who tend
to sustain their own perspective on many things. Trying to navigate all
these differences and actually create consensus about what should be policy
would be an utter nightmare no one will want to do for a significant period
of time - especially not volunteers.

sm