[Foundation-l] New project proposal - Wikibuilder

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Sun Jan 23 13:48:18 UTC 2005

Robin Shannon wrote:

> OK, im receptive to the idea (in fact i quite like it), but why is
> information about the built enviroment special? why not a wikimedia
> linux wiki, or potplant wiki, or people who are born on the 12th of
> April wiki?

There's a "Why?" section on [[Wikibuilder]]:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikibuilder#Why.3F
(feel free to elaborate it)

If a potplant wiki is proposed I'll be sure to add my comments to the
discussion page on why I don't think it would be a good use of
Wikimedia resources. ;)

> I guess im getting at a point which we all must ask ourselves. What
> makes us who we are; and what is our mission. I think the stated
> mission of spreading human knowledge, could apply to a whole lot of
> things that would probably be deemed inaproprate....  or would they?

Yes but inappropriate according to which terms. There're basically
three questions regarding appropriateness I think:

Q. Does it meet the criteria for a Wikimedia new project?
A. Yes (and, as you imply, many ideas would)

Q. Is it technically practicable?
A. Yes, with a little work on MediaWiki

Q. Would it be a good use of Wikimedia resources?
A. To be decided (which, as you rightly point out, we all must ask
ourselves)

Christiaan