[Foundation-l] Concern with performance issues

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 02:21:05 UTC 2005

--- Sj <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be nice to have a proper safety margin of redundant machines
> - say, one hot spare for every core machine, and one for every two
> apaches/squids - before deciding that "money for hardware really isn't
> the issue".  I had the impression that some of the recent delays and
> outages would have been less troublesome (and less noticeable), had
> there been more redundancy of key components.

I said what I said based on my impressions by talking with developers; both
Jimmy and I are often pushing them to buy more servers but want to make sure we
get the largest bang for the buck.

> The $50k in available funds as of Dec 31 was a bit less than two
> months' operating costs; not as much as it might seem.

My point was that the cost of having an employee or two is now relatively cheap
given the enormity of our other expenses and income. Thus it is now possible to
talk of such a thing and not be shouted down due to its budgetary
impracticability.

-- mav