[Foundation-l] Proposal for Wikikids

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jan 4 00:19:57 UTC 2005

Achim Raschka wrote:

> Hello again
>
>> One major problem that is not mentioned, is how do you know when someone
>> is between 8 and 16 years old, except when they tell you.  I am long
>> past 16, but what's to prevent me from saying that I qualify.  How can
>> this be reconciled with the right to edit anonymously, which is one of
>> the important features of a wiki.
>>
>> Ec
>
> I really don´t see this problem. adults should work in that Wiki but
> they don´t have to get the control of it, that´s the point. There is
> no problem if some adults write articles for the project. You will
> always have the problem of Trolls and other folk, but I think it can
> be managed if enough "normal" users will control the Wiki. In my
> opinion it´s easier to handle than the NPOV-problem in Winkinews or
> the non-scientitific systematics in Wikispecies (sorry, I´m phylogenist).
>
>> Yea.
>> Plus, there's the danger of pedophiles happily (ab)using such a place
>> as a grooming ground.
>> It's bad enough that Wikipedia had to face past (or still ongoing?)
>> onslaughts by POV crusading pedophiles seeking to sneak their sexually
>> deviant views into the mainstream. Or am I too paranoid and
>> pessimistic?
>
> I think, this way to look at the project ist too paranoid, but you´re
> right if you say we need a mechanism to handle the chance of sexual
> and perverse stuff. I think, there are great differences in how to
> handle in the different languages so germans normally are very liberal
> with Sex. There has to be a discussion about the problem and there has
> to be a result to handle it, but I don´t see that it isn´t to handle.
> Maybe I´m too optimistic?

We are dealing with two different groups here.  The POV warrior, the
troll and the pornographer want their effort to be seen.  For some the
thrill is in the fight.  It's quite the opposite for the pedophile.  His
editing activity will avoid controversy. On matters of interest to
children he will want to blend in as a cool member of the community
providing just the kind of information that kids want. He wants to build
confidence so that the kids will feel at ease to meet him when he's ready.

Ec