[Foundation-l] Proposal for Wikikids

Achim Raschka necrophorus at gmx.de
Mon Jan 3 21:49:07 UTC 2005

Hello again

>One major problem that is not mentioned, is how do you know when someone
>is between 8 and 16 years old, except when they tell you.  I am long
>past 16, but what's to prevent me from saying that I qualify.  How can
>this be reconciled with the right to edit anonymously, which is one of
>the important features of a wiki.
>
>Ec

I really don´t see this problem. adults should work in that Wiki but they
don´t have to get the control of it, that´s the point. There is no problem
if some adults write articles for the project. You will always have the
problem of Trolls and other folk, but I think it can be managed if enough
"normal" users will control the Wiki. In my opinion it´s easier to handle
than the NPOV-problem in Winkinews or the non-scientitific systematics in
Wikispecies (sorry, I´m phylogenist).

>Yea.
>Plus, there's the danger of pedophiles happily (ab)using such a place
>as a grooming ground.
>It's bad enough that Wikipedia had to face past (or still ongoing?)
>onslaughts by POV crusading pedophiles seeking to sneak their sexually
>deviant views into the mainstream. Or am I too paranoid and
>pessimistic?
>
>-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
>      www.ropersonline.com

I think, this way to look at the project ist too paranoid, but you´re right
if you say we need a mechanism to handle the chance of sexual and perverse
stuff. I think, there are great differences in how to handle in the
different languages so germans normally are very liberal with Sex. There
has to be a discussion about the problem and there has to be a result to
handle it, but I don´t see that it isn´t to handle. Maybe I´m too optimistic?

Greetings
Achim aka Necrophorus