[Commons-l] Our categories are broken, very broken

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 15:16:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 13:33, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/18 Daniel Kinzler <daniel at brightbyte.de>:
>
>> I would like so much to have a language-neutral search on commons. And I know
>> how to build it, too. Also, the OmegaWiki people are working on something like
>> this. Let's hope for the best.
>

> Categories that work like tags are in progress, don't know about
> expected time of arrival.
>
> Also, being able to make tags/cats in different languages refer to the
> same thing. So [[Category:Dog]] and [[Category:Chien]] do the same
> thing. Redirects to cats don't quite work as we'd want them to.

Thing is (I'm not sure that you're talking about that, but let's see),
I uploaded my road sign, and entered "panneau de signalisation" as a
category. The software changed the category to "Speed limit signs",
which is totally wrong. I know this, but how many French people will
read the difference?

redirects can be wrong :(

We need a tool to check the accuracy of language redirects.

Delphine

--
~notafish