[Commons-l] Our categories are broken, very broken

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 11:54:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:51, Daniel Kinzler <daniel at brightbyte.de> wrote:
>> I did this:
>>  - went to http://commons.wikimedia.org (I use Commons French interface)
>> or either clicked on any image in the article and then followed the link
>> to the image description page on Commons
>>  - typed in "sens unique" in the Commons search box
>>  - this led me to
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=sens+unique&go=Consulter
>>
>> The first item of the list seems to be the good one :)
>
> Hm... that would be http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Sens_unique.JPG -
> niced find, but the sade fact is: that's an orpahn! no categorization, no
> gallery :( we have way too many of those.
>
> also, hoping for an image description in fresh to be picked up by the full text
> search is quite a gamble. compare
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=%22one+way%22+&ns0=1&ns4=1&ns6=1&ns14=1&fulltext=Suchen>.
>
> I would like so much to have a language-neutral search on commons. And I know
> how to build it, too. Also, the OmegaWiki people are working on something like
> this. Let's hope for the best.

Although language is a bummer, it was not my main concern, as you
pointed out in an earlier mail.

The fact that I can't go straight to "Road signs" from "Road signs in
Germany that tell a story" and then down again to "Road signs in
France that tell a story" rather than have to go through the whole
arborescence up and down again makes no sense to me.

So yes, there is much to do. I think that usability studies would be a
good first step. I hope we get some feedback from the general survey
in basic usability. We'll see.

Delphine

--
~notafish