[Commons-l] Geocoding in Template:Information

Jon wiki at konsoletek.com
Tue Dec 23 17:58:11 UTC 2008

The problem is that {{Information}} uses variables by name where as
{{Location}} uses variables by number.  Mixing these two is a very bad
idea.  So if we were to include the location based data into information
we'd have to make it look something like this:

{{Information
|Description={{en|Picture of the main Headframe at the Soudan Underground
Mine State Park.}}
|Source=Self-Made
|Date=2004-07-20
|Author=[[User:ShakataGaNai|ShakataGaNai]]
|Permission=
|other_versions=
|Latd=47
|Latm=49
|Lats=10.8
|LatDirection=N
|Lond=92
|Lonm=14
|Lons=31.6
|LonDirection=W
}}

That's not terribly friendly to deal with.  Plus both templates have some
other optional components so it could be even longer than that.

BUT the biggest problem is that the tools are already there for {{Location}}
in it's current form.  By tools I mean the little Javascript bits for Google
Maps, or the file plugins for Google Earth - the tools that generate the
entire completed {{Location}}.

-Jon
User:ShakataGaNai