[Commons-l] Geocoding in Template:Information

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 17:57:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Robin Schwab <contact at robinschwab.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just wanted to ask on [1] if we could include geocoding [2] as an
> optional parameter in Tempalate:Information [3]. Now I see that somebody
> else has asked this question some months ago without getting a response.
> What's so diffucult in including the basic image information in
> Template:Information?
>
> The current solution looks ugly specially when [2] is above [3]. But
> also vice versa it would look nicer when we had one single template.

Just shows that tastes differ: I think the geocoding templates have
historically looked much better on top. (Though it's recently been
degraded by the addition of needless whitespace and links to google
which almost completely obscure our own built in popup mapping
functionality— lame lame lame, click the blue sphere for it, not the
numbers)

In general a proliferation of geocoding templates should be
aggressively discouraged since it makes machine parsing of the
information very difficult. ... but support in information wouldn't be
bad except for the fact that there still exist many (sometimes
personal) information forks.