[Commons-l] [Foundation-l] PD-art and official "position of the WMF"

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:59:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Matthew Flaschen <
matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Supporters of broad use of PD-art outside of the U.S. have seized on a
> statement by Erik Möller that, "To put it plainly, WMF's position has
> always been that faithful reproductions of two-dimensional public domain
> works of art are public domain, and that claims to the contrary
> represent an assault on the very concept of a public domain." and called
> it the "position of the WMF"
> (
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:When_to_use_the_PD-Art_tag#The_position_of_the_WMF
> )
> and "The official position taken by the Wikimedia Foundation"
> (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:PD-art).
>
> In my opinion, this is mistaken on many levels.  Regardless of his
> intentions, Erik Möller does not have the authority to speak for the
> WMF.  If the board does /intend/ to make this statement, a binding
> resolution would be a much better means.
>
> This choice of interpretation involves deliberately ignoring the current
> legal climate in certain countries outside the U.S., and I believe that
> is a significant departure at Commons.
>
> I am asking the board to step in and provide clarity on this issue in
> particular, and the ways they will and will not communicate their views
> on important issues in general.

Adding commons-l as a CC as this clearly involves the commons community, and
should have included that CC to start. Lets all try to include commons-l on
future replies.

Erik is deputy director, and he, Sue, Mike Godwin or the board itself I
believe is entitled to make such a statement. Are you simply asking for the
board to endorse or not endorse it?

- Joe