[Commons-l] Bad experience of the new upload form

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Wed Aug 20 01:33:41 UTC 2008

I've just spent over 30 minutes uploading a file to Wikimedia Commons. The
excessive time was due to the new upload form.

The image in question is
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Stratford_station_360_-_August_2008.jpg
I filled out all the sections of the form as it asked me to, but no matter
what I tried it would not let me upload the file, giving only the
unhelpful error "You must give the original source of the file, the author
of the work, and a license."
I say unhelpful because I had filled in all of the noted fields - even
changing them from the default to see if that mad a difference, but nope.
the only thing I can think of is that I hadn't selected a license from the
dropdown list, as I wanted to use my own custom tag
(user:Thryduulf/cc-by-sa-all) which wraps the standard cc template with a
note about my personal relicencing policy and categorises it in my user
category.
If the permission box is set to check if the licence included in there is
one of a known set, then if it doesn't match say so in the error message.
If the "none selected" license option doesn't let you upload the file then
you need to change the wording on it so that it doesn't imply you can and
give an option that says "I have added a license tag in the permissions
field above" that will let it upload.

When I found the link to the old-style basic upload form (and remembered
how to use it) everything went swimmingly. I used the same information in
the manual form as I was trying to upload using the pretty form.

I am using the latest version of Firefox 2 on 64-bit Kubuntu Linux.

Chris

--
Chris McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org