[Commons-l] unfree image on commons (olympic flag)

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 15:33:41 UTC 2008

I wonder if the olympic flag is a free image or not. I'm a bit
puzzled, since the description page lists 3 differnet templates all
adding restrictions, but none of them stating any freedom

In particular, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Olympic_flag.svg  says:

1. This image shows a flag, a coat of arms, a seal or some other
official insignia. The use of such symbols is restricted in many
countries. These restrictions are independent of the copyright status.

    Ok, so nothing about copyright here, only that it may have extra
restrictions on some countries. Nothing about permissions or fredoms.

2 .The copyright holder of this file restricts its usage to the
guidelines set forth in the Olympic Charter, specifically Chapter 1,
rule 7, section 2, and by-law to rules 7-14, paragraph 4.10.4 (pages
20 and 27).

   linking to http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_122.pdf

However, such link only talks about usage by several organizing
comitees, no by third parties, and it lays down that the flag and all
emblems are property of the IOC

3. This work contains material which may be subject to trademark laws
in one or more jurisdictions. Before using this content, please ensure
that you have the right to use it under the laws which apply in the
circumstances of your intended use. You are solely responsible for
ensuring that you do not infringe someone else's trademark. See our
general disclaimer.

  Again, it's about restrictions (trade), but nothing about a license
for reusage.

--------
So. Under what license are we serving that image? If that reallya /free/ image?
Since I don't see any details about license, reuse, permissions, or copyright.

Could anyone enlighten me?