[Commons-l] Automatic messages to users: guessing user preferred language

Yuval Y yuval.y.il at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:10:17 UTC 2007

Finally someone thinks about user friendly messages =)
I've noticed that there are many people who doesn't use the babel box, and I
was trying to figure out their native language (or something close to that)
according to what they wrote in the images. I also used the language
template in all the versions of {{welcome}}, so when I see that, I'm usually
add the welcome template in that language. The problem is that I'm using
Google translator, so it's a bit limited.
I think that the {{guessed language|<language code>}}  template would be
quite fine for a start, since the user has to learn how to do more than
uploading images (like - how to EDIT the text...)
I think that users who know how to change the preferences, do know how to do
other things, so it wouldn't do much to use a script who reads that info -
after all, this is more difficult than placing a babel box, not to mention
that some users - like me, prefer the English interface.

What I suggest, is that in the "Log in / create an account" section would be
a drop down menu for "native language" or something like that  (maybe with
the help of uselang) - so after the user creates an account, a script would
create a babel box in the user's page (something like {{user $1}} ) or he
would get a welcome message in the user talk page ( {{subst:welcome/$1}} ) -
or maybe both?
That way the user would get a welcome message that could guide him in the
Commons, and it would be easier to contact with him.

Yuval