[Commons-l] You can't upload images directly to the Spanish Wikipedia - it leads to Commons

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 01:48:06 UTC 2007

On Nov 3, 2007 9:27 PM, Yuval Y <yuval.y.il at gmail.com> wrote:
> After warning some users from the Spanish Wikipedia not to upload FAIR
> USE images to the commons (and blocked one of them...) I've checked
> the Wikipedia, and I've noticed that the UPLOAD FILE section in
> http://es.wikipedia.org/ leads DIRECTLY to
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Upload?uselang=es

This isn't new. Eswikipedia disabled uploads because they do did not
previously allow images which commons would not allow.

> Uploading fair use images seems to be valid in any other Wikipedia,
> and the result is that the Es.Wikipedia users uploads the images
> directly to commons.

Quite a few other Wikipedias do not allow any non-free images.

> This situation CAN'T go on.

Perhaps it's gotten much worse since I was active.. but I doubt it.

The problem images that come because of Eswiki newbies thinking
non-free images can be uploaded are easy to identify and can be
quickly deleted.