[Commons-l] Wikimedia Logos on Commons: Possible Solution

Barcex barcexwiki at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:33:52 UTC 2007

2007/7/27, Daniel Kinzler <daniel at brightbyte.de>:

> "free content only" is a Wikimedia policy, it applies to all content
> served from
> any Wikimedia server. Moving logos to a different server does not solve
> the
> problem, it's just shifting it around, perhaps allowing Commons to ignore
> it.
>
> There are basically only two options:
>
> a) live with the slightly hypocritical current situation - i.e. making the
> logos
> an exception from the general policy.

   I cannot see why the current situation is hypocrytical. The logos are not
part of the Commons repository, they are uploaded to the Commons servers
just because of operative/technical/logistical needs. But that is clearly
stated that: "*notwithstanding any other statements, this image has not been
licensed under the GFDL.* Use of the Wikimedia logo is subject to the
*Wikimedia
visual identity
guidelines<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines>
* and requires permission."

   The only problem that I see is that in projects that do not allow non
free content (such as eswiki) users tend to put Wikimedia copyrighted logos
in the articles about Wikimedia projects (i.e.  the main image in
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia). This is a violation of the
project's policy (in this example, eswiki policy) but there is no reason to
quit them from Commons because it is not a violation to use it in  other
places (i.e. http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantilla:Commons). In this case,
just a bigger and better explanation on the logos page could make things
clear. Something like "This is non free, if your project does not allow
nonfree images in articles, please do not use this image".

Barcex.