[Commons-l] Anglo-Saxonisation of the commons

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Tue Feb 20 21:18:27 UTC 2007

Hello,

Patrick-Emil Zörner a écrit :
> I am quite appalled about how things have a nasty tendency to a nasty
> outcome on commons. München is being moved to Munich, Praha is moved
> to Prague,... and all on a specious kind of based argumentation. I
> know how the cities are called. I have seen the traffic signs! The
> cities are actually called München, Praha,...
>
> I read e.g. that [München, Germany] would look silly. Yes it does.
> That is why it should have been [München, Deutschland] in the first
> place with the redirect being [Munich, Germany] or even a
> disambiguation on [Munich] as it already is on the en-WP. What was
> clear to many people in the beginnig of commons now gets overthrown
> and people keenly start their bots.
>
> Moreover I do not mind having [東京] as log as there is a
> redirect on [Tokyo], [Tokio] etc.
>
> As far as I remember commons was planed for all projects to coexist
> but not to assimilate them until a bad english gets the upper hand.
>
> I am appalled about this and do not know if I carry on in this pile of
> shards.
>
> disappointed greetings
>
> paddy

Yes, this is happening again.
It is very disappointing that people try to enforce an English only
categories naming. Actually categories redirect works quite well, so I
don't see why there should English names when the language of the place
is not English.

People do not even care about opposition to renaming categories, and
threathen me as vandal when I am trying to keep the original name.

This on-going change should not happen.

Regards,

Yann