[Commons-l] Metadata and Professional usage of Commons photographs

Rama Rama ramaneko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 22:28:43 UTC 2007

> If it was all rights reserved, why did they publish it? Did they had an
> agreement with the photo database to only provide them photos which they
> would be allowed to publish?

I assume they had. How the image went to come in such a database withour the
information totally beats me, though.

> Do you mean by uploaders before uploading, or an automatic
> transformation by the software?
>
> The later then raises that the software doesn't really know which
> license has each image. We could add to thumbnails a generic "go to URL
> foo to know about author and license terms".

Yes, at upload time, automatically. It should be possible to request that a
fields "author" and "licence" be filled and to automatically update the
corresponding EXIF tags if they are void. Or even to have some elementary
data-mining component that would extract the data from Template:information
and such things.

And maybe advertise the issue to users, pointing to easy ways to EXIF-tag
the images.

-- Rama