[Commons-l] Racism in Commons

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Thu Dec 6 14:48:36 UTC 2007

> Earlier: "... I certainly didn't get the
> suggestion we should disregard the
> original argument due to it allegedly
> being racist out of what you said,
> and I doubt many people did..."

Peter Blaise responds: I did.  Look at the subject line:

[Subject: Racism in Commons]

Doh!

This whole thread is about pointing the finger at racism.

As always, whenever we try to point something out, there are three
fingers pointing back.  The original poster was trying to point out what
they thought was racism, yet I see the original poster's premise as
racist.  So, I also found the original post racist.  My Jewish friends
would only hope that the person propagating such racism should not
identify their cause as Jewish!  There is nothing we know of in
Jewishness that is either "race" based, nor calls for suppression of
creative expression and dialogue, nor calls to protect anyone from
provocative intellectual challenge no matter how base (or not) they find
that challenge.

I believe the original poster's comments would be best taken up in
dialogue with the cartoonist (... I'd love to eavesdrop on that
conversation!), not with us.  See
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:555/Latuff and
http://www.infoshop.org/graphics/latuff/LatuffSP.jpg As the "commons",
we're a publishing house, not the authors (though many of us may wear
both hats).

The cartoons are public record anyway, originally published elsewhere...
450 more at
http://images.google.com/images?&safe=off&q=Latuff&btnG=Search+Images !
How can anyone report on them and discuss them if we can't see them IN
our dialogs in the various wikis because one of us has closed their
minds, and wants the rest of us not to have the same chance to look at
them as the original poster has?

Hey, I GET the point of THIS one:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Free_Myanmar_by_Latuf
f2.jpg