[Commons-l] Mayflower^2

Ayelie (Editor at Large) ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 18:06:03 UTC 2007

> On 25/04/07, Artur Fijałkowski <wiki.warx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Some time ago someone introduced Mayflower on this list :)
> > My first opinion about this tool was: great, but ugly logo will make
> > it useless ;)
> > Now with some help of Masur we have something a bit nicer and good
> > starting point for evolving something even better ;)
> >
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikimedia_Community_Logo-Mayflower.svg
>
> <catmacro>I APPROVE OF THIS</catmacro>

Very nice; I like the logo on its own very much. The addition of "Mayflower
search" or "Mayflower <br> Search Engine" below is probably a good idea
though. At the moment I'm not sure that if someone saw the logo they would
say "oh that's the logo of a tool for searching for images" or even "oh
that's a search engine"...

Perhaps I have my marketing hat on but the point of a logo has always been,
to me, that it clearly demonstrates at a glance what the item is; the
toolserver logo (
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikimedia_Community_Logo-Toolserver.svg)
is a great example of this. What about having half the center be the
ship
and half a magnifying glass (classic symbol for a search), or something of
the sort?

Just throwing out ideas, I still like the logo as-is :)
--
Ayelie
  ~Editor at Large