[Commons-l] Old works in public domain vs. US Copyright Law

Luiz Augusto lugusto at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 16:19:39 UTC 2007

I'm on a similar problem at the Portuguese Wikisource due to the
[[:m:American non-acceptance of the rule of the shorter term]] (see on [1]).

I've proposed in a private e-mail to Anthere (not yet replied, I think that
she is busy in others subjects) to create a set of wikis <lang>.non-
us.wikisource.org hosted outside of the United States ({{derivative}} from
the Debian non-us software repository [2]) to host works PD-old worldwide
but copyrighted in the USA. Can a non-us Commons media repository help on
preventing to delete thousands of images?

foundation-l have a discussion started today based on the same problem: [3]

[1]
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium#PD-old_non-us..._I.27m_confused

[2] http://www.debian.org/mirror/list-non-US

[3] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-April/029741.html