[Commons-l] Category:Own work

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Thu Jun 15 10:51:20 UTC 2006

What to do with [[Category:Own work]]? Instead of asking each and every
author for a license (with many authors probably unreachable), how about
this:

1. People who upload their own work at the commons obviously want them
to be realeased under a free license (otherwise, they'd go to flicker or
something)
2. As they didn't chose a license, they either didn't know they have to,
and/or don't care about these "legal technicalities"
3. In order to grant their obvious wish to release these images under a
free license, we add GFDL and CC-BY-SA-2.5 to all of these images
4. We leave {{OwnWork}} and change it into a notice that the license
information below is assumed, and if the author doesn't agree, (s)he
should write a note on the talk page or fix it directly
5. Where the author is easily reachable, leave them a note what we did

Wikimedia projects live on "assume good faith", and IMHO we should do so
where peoble uploaded their own images and just forgot to add {{GFDL}}.

Magnus