[Commons-l] [Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Commons moving helper]

David Benbennick dbenbenn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 13:42:51 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Magnus Manske <magnus.manske at web.de> wrote:
> I recently noticed what a pain it can be to move image to commons,
> especially with the image description. To help this issue, I now offer
> this service:
>
> http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/commonshelper.php

Neat!  Here's a couple bugs.

If the image upload summary has interwiki links, the links break.  For
example, (taking an image from EN):

here's a summary with [[link]] and [[de:interwiki link]]. How about
[[commons:link]]?

turns into

here's a summary with [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link Link] (link)
and [http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/interwiki_link" class='extiw'
title="de:interwiki_link] (de:interwiki link) . How about
[http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/link" class='extiw'
title="commons:link] (commons:link) ?

Also, it would be nice of the helper deduced wiki-syntax for links in
the upload summaries, instead of making everything be external links.
For example, [[link]] should turn into [[:en:link]], not
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link Link].

Another minor bug, interwiki links in image descriptions aren't quite
right.  In terms of link syntax, the Commons thinks of itself as an
English Wikipedia (in otherwords, [[q:Foo]] links to English
Wikiquote, while [[:de:Foo]] links to German Wikipedia).  The script
needs to know this quirky fact.  Again from EN, the image description

[[Foo]] and [[:de:Bar]].  [[:Image:Bob]].

turns into

[[:en:Foo]] and [[:en::de:Bar]]. [[:en::Image:Bob]].

when it should be

[[:en:Foo]] and [[:de:Bar]]. [[:en:Image:Bob]].

(Notice the double :: in two places, too.)