[Advocacy Advisors] FYI - Creative Commons statement on copyright reform

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 17 01:42:21 UTC 2013

Hi, all-

I thought I'd pass along this CC statement on copyright reform - strong and
interesting statement, discussing both the key issues, the possibility for
positive change, but also discussing some of the institutional constraints
CC faces:

https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/39639

This statement was driven by the CC chapters, who wanted more activism on
this issue and met together at the CC conference in Buenos Aires.

CC feels a particular responsibility on this issue because some people have
said "CC licenses prove copyright is not broken". CC explicitly says in the
policy that "CC licenses are a patch" to a broken system. I don't know if
we have a similar unique obligation or role in copyright reform, but it may
be something to think about.

FYI-
Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*